Saturday 5 February 2011

Latium Restaurant, 8th January 2011

I have always been fascinated by Ancient Egypt.  My childhood ambition was to study archaeology at university but my mother said that I would only do so over her dead body, which is why I have ended up as a doctor.  However, my interest in Ancient Egypt has never waned and it was therefore with great excitement that I took my family to see the 'Journey through the afterlife' exhibition at the British Museum.  Sadly, my teenage sons do not share my love of history and so it was not long before they started complaining that they were bored, tired and hungry.

I took them (and the wife, of course) to Latium for an evening meal.  It was the first time that we have dined at this restaurant but it will certainly not be our last.  Latium is an attractive restaurant that serves Italian cuisine and its main specialty is ravioli.  For most of us, ravoli evokes memories of the rather soggy and unappetising pasta parcels that were once served at school.  A visit to Latium certainly help to banish those memories.

We ordered a starter each and none of us were disappointed by the choices that we made.  My eldest son, L, is a foie gras connoisseur and he thoroughly enjoyed his foie gras terrine.




The grilled Cornish squid that my youngest son, C, and I had was competently cooked rather than outstanding.


  


The wife had pasta with baby octopus, which she felt was slightly over seasoned.




I don't like risotto myself but L is a fan.





Next came the two fantastic ravioli dishes.


A selection of fish ravioli
Mushroom and snail ravioli
The venison was superb.




Delightful and imaginative desserts rounded off a wonderful evening.


Selection of sweet ravioli
Lime parfait wrapped with fresh pineapple, balsamic vinegar and mint sauce

Food quality 8/10
Presentation 8/10
Service 8/10
Ambience 8/10
Value for money 9/10

Total 41/50 - Well worth a visit

Latium
21 Berners Street
London W1T 3LP
T: +44 (0)20 7323 9123
F: +44 (0)20 7323 3205
E: info@latiumrestaurant.com


Latium on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment